The Chatwal Hotel opened August 8 in a 1905 landmark building at 130 West 44th Street in New York’s Theater District. The famed architect and designer Thierry Despont transformed the Art Deco building, formerly occupied by the Lambs, America’s first theatrical society, into a hotel with 88 rooms ($695 to $16,000 for the four-bedroom Barrymore suite). Despont referenced travel themes from the early-20th century throughout, while honoring the legacy of the building’s original architect, Stanford White. Several original features were preserved, including a floor-to-ceiling fireplace, which is now the centerpiece of the Lambs Club restaurant. The original Lambs Club Library was reinstalled as the Stanford White Studio: a rich, oak-paneled suite with a granite fireplace and a private outdoor terrace.